Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Lovely Pot of Hydrangeas

I had so much fun making this card! When I first purchased this stamp set, I was a little imimidated by this one image. I stamped it out a couples of different times and tried to colour it. I was not impressed at how it was turning out so I just put the stamp aside and carried on using the rest of this set (Bloomin' Beautiful by Stampin' Up!)

When I finally figured out that if I let my controling nature go, then the image would magically turn out the way I wanted it to! It is much easier to watercolour a large image then it is a smaller one and these flowers were posing a BIG problem for me!

I started this time by colouring the hydrangea with my amethyst marker. I then smoothed over the colouring with an aqua painter. After I let that dry then I quickly dabbed the center of the flowers with pale plum and let that dry. I did that once again using elegant eggplant ink and then before it dryed I went over all the flowers with the aqua painter to get the "pooling" of colour in between the embossed petals. To finish off the flowers I dotted the center of the flowers with my signo gel pen and then added some stickles :)

I cut out some flower clusters and skewed them slightly to make a more full looking bouquet. The flower pot was watercoloured and then scribbled over with my versa marker and then heat embossed with clear embossing powder. This really added alot to the image as the pot now looks like it is a real ceramic pot! I also added some shading around the pot to add a little more dimension.

The designer paper has been stamped with the flourish from Baroque Motifs and then heat embossed with Irridecent Ice - oh so very sparkely!! This picks up on the Stickles in the flower centers and the jewelled brads in the corners. I really like how feminine this card turned out!

Tip: The panel beneath the main images is a piece of Perfect Plum cardstock with Vellum adheared to the backside of it. I then ran this through my cuttlebug to create a softer, more muted tone of purple. This works especially well if you need a particular colour on your card but only have bright card stock on hand. I allows you to mute the brightness while using the colour that you need. This technique also helps the vellum to stay in place without having adhesive showing through - all with the added bonus of adding some texture to your card!

To put the rest of the card togther, all I did was sew the the edges and add the punched photo corners with some dimensionals.

Card Recipe:

Stamps: Bloomin' Beautiful, Baroque Motifs
Paper: Papertrey White, Old Olive, Almost Amethyst, Watercolour, Designer Paper, Vellum, Perfect Plum
Inks: Basic Black, Pumkin Pie, Old Olive, Almost Amethyst, Perfect Plum, Elegant Eggplant, Sahara Sand, Creamy Caramel, Soft Sky, Barely Banana
Accessories: Heat Gun, Markers, Aqau Painter, Stickles, Signo Gel Pen, Taffeta Ribbon, Cuttlebug, Nesabilities, Brads, Photo Corner Punch, Sponges, Dimensionals

No comments: